Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Staying at home

It's been less than a week since I was temporarily laid off from my job. I'm still getting used to the fact that I don't know when I'll be back at work. At the moment, it feels like an extra long weekend.

I haven't gone past the driveway of my house since last Friday and that was just to go to the shop for essentials. I bought enough to last 2/3 weeks. No hoarding, only got what we need. 

Beth hasn't gone past the driveway in almost a week. She has been off school 3 weeks on Thursday and has only been with her dad and me. We can't compromise the extended family by asking them to mind her. Home-schooling has been a challenge. She is currently whinging about a headache here beside me while she should be doing her maths. We have a schedule, but it doesn't always go to plan. Admittedly, I have always wanted to home-school, but being thrown into it like this has left me at a loss. It should be:
9-10am Maths
10-11am Exercise (PE with Joe Wicks or Wii Fit)
Break-time
11.15-12.15pm Irish
Lunch
1-2pm English
2-4pm Creative time (different activities everyday)

That was the plan...

I'm trying to grapple with the fact that I am unemployed and not allowed to leave the house for the foreseeable and worried about my health. I am asthmatic, so naturally terrified of getting the virus. I'm worried about if I get really sick and need to go to hospital what will happen to Beth?

For the moment, I'm trying not to think about the 'what if's'. I have power-hosed the driveway, spent hours cleaning up the garden after a winter of neglect, started learning the piano, crocheting a large blanket, so much cleaning and laundry and baking and, of course, home-schooling. Distractions only last so long though.

I hope anyone reading this is staying safe at home or, if you have to work, THANK YOU!

1 comment: