Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Charity at Christmas

The weather here is awful. Wet, windy, dark. I kind of like it though. I love the long dark nights of winter. I actually like leaving the house in the dark mornings and getting home while it's pitch black. It's a great excuse to cuddle up on the couch with Beth and watch movies with the Christmas tree lights twinkling. Tonight was The Grinch (although I still prefer the one with Jim Carrey)

I love Christmas. I know it's not great for everyone. I thought this year was going to be a bit crap. It was just going to be myself and Beth for the day, but we got invited to Christmas dinner by one of my friends. She has three kids so Beth will be well entertained while I sit back with a glass of wine and good company.

The lead up to Christmas is always the best. The atmosphere, the lights, the cheesy music. People are more generous in December, more willing to reach into their pockets for charity. At work we are all wearing Christmas jumpers and donating to Crumlin Children's Hospital tomorrow. In years gone by, we did 'casual December' at work and put a euro into a pot every work day we wore casual clothes. The last day before the Christmas break it was gathered up and given to the Dundalk Simon Community.

Beth had a great idea to use our advent calendar as a way to save up for charity. We have twenty five little white and red buckets that hang on a string at the back door at Christmas. Everyday we are putting a euro in and giving to charity at the end. We will also be giving some Smyth's vouchers to one of the homeless charities here in Dundalk. Over ten thousand people are homeless in Ireland now. That includes children. It could happen to any one of us. There, but for the grace of God, go I.

Beth and I may not have a lot, but we have more than most. Count your blessing this Christmas and help out others (if you can).

Is it me or is my tree lopsided? 

No comments:

Post a Comment