Sunday, December 8, 2019

To sleep, perchance to dream

I haven't been sleeping well for about a week. I get to sleep OK, then I wake up at 3/4am and can't get back to sleep until it's nearly time to get up for the day. Friday night was the worst. I lay in bed unable to relax. My heart was going crazy and thoughts swirled round my mind. I guess I was a little anxious about the kids Christmas party at work yesterday. I'm still quite new there and a lot of them are 'old timers' in the place. The company has been going since the 1980's and I'm there since February...

Anyway, I knew my little lady was going to find it difficult. She's not a fan of crowds or loud music and there's was lots of both. We spent most of the time up in the sales office, her sitting at my desk, taking sneaky trips downstairs to fill up on sweets. When she was suitably sugared up, we went back downstairs and I managed to talk her into going into Santa. She also got to pet the magician's rabbit (have no idea what happened in the show) and got two balloon animals. Result!

After the party we took a trip into to town to Roe River Books for her to pick which books she wanted for Christmas. It's one of our traditions. Santa brings the presents and I bring new pajamas and books. She chose three Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. She read a few from the school library, but they didn't have the whole collection. I actually wasn't aware how many there were. I also got her the next Harry Potter book. I read them to her because I wanted to read them too. We're almost at the end of Goblet of Fire. I had planned to get myself a book too, but I couldn't find anything I really wanted and Margaret Atwood's new book is still in hard back. I'm not a fan of hard back books, too clunky to read.

Last night we stuffed our faces with sweets and crisps gleaned from the party and watched Ralph Breaks the Internet. I dozed off on the couch during The Lego Movie and we eventually went to bed about 11.30pm (always late bedtime on Saturday, although it's not worth it with the grumpy head in the morning). 

I was up this morning at 8am doing laundry. Had to wake the little woman at 9 as we were catching a train to Belfast for the day with my mum. A bit of shopping and mulled wine later and we were home for more laundry, dinner, bath and bed. 

And there it was, my weekend. Blink and you've missed it. I miss the blissful days were I would drop her to school, go for a coffee and decide what to write. Those days are long gone. I needed money. I couldn't be a starving artist with a kid. So I work 9 to 5, Monday to Friday. I pay the bills. I go on holidays. I save as much as I can so that someday I'll have a place to call my own... but, I so desperately want to be a writer. I need to push myself harder. No more excuses. I can sleep when I'm dead.

Very complimentary graffiti in Clarke Train Station toilets

No comments:

Post a Comment